webuser_351778993

Help me create a creative space and another room?

Jenny Johnston
last year
last modified: last year

Afternoon everyone

We have recently renovated our existing beach house, (a typical 80’s rectangular weatherboard upper, with block work lower and decking across the front. We utilised the existing footprint to repair and make good. We are now ready to do a small extension which will require a planning permit.

Our plan is to extend out from the living room to a maximum of 10 metres x about 5/6 metres …we could possibly go a bit wider with less length (the wall where the couch is sitting)

This is a holiday house that is used by grandparents and adult children and grandchildren..of varying ages.

We feel we need a bit more breathing room upstairs, so would like the lounge area a couple of metres longer, so we can push the couch back a bit . We want a transitional space with room for a study bench/craft bench/ using the remaining space for another room with a bathroom. I want this room to act primarily as another TV, sitting space but have the ability to close it off using double pocket doors .

This room could perhaps have a wall bed in it or a sofa that turns into a bed, so it becomes overflow bedroom space during the busy season. In the future we may even use this room as our bedroom .

We do not have an upstairs powder room, so the addition of a bathroom, maybe with a seperate toilet…(seperate toilet, not essential) would be great in the upstairs space.

The room will be west facing and looking into our garden . We are on the Mornington Peninsula.

We are in a flood zone, and have height restrictions, so we will not be able to build underneath the upstairs room..we hope to use it as a carport/outdoor room .

Please see attached plans - First floor plans show the living room, and couch area…new extension is into back yard from that point I would appreciate any creative input to make this an interesting addition to our house.

Comments (41)