janetelizabeth_cronin

Does a street-facing wall need to have windows to look "right"?

JE C
last year

Dear all,

We are about to seek development approval from the council for our extension (which we have been planning for at least 10 years) but one aspect doesn't feel right and I am now questioning it.

The living area of our open plan has a south facing exterior wall at the end where the TV and fireplace will sit. Its width will be 5.6 m. It also has high level (clerestory) windows at the top. The purpose of these windows is to give interest, inside and out. We will have plenty of light without them.

I will attach the relevant part of the plans and the southerly elevation in the plans so that you can picture it. My issue is this.... I would like to have the fireplace with an internal chimney breast adjacent to the TV (see attached picture as a guide) but I have barely seen any pictures of a room like this that has clerestory windows above (and no other windows on the wall) that I think looks good. I think this is because it just doesn't look right, the clerestory windows would fight with the fireplace to be "the feature". The only exception I have found is where the fireplace is centred on the wall, and the high level windows run either side of the chimney breast, and the TV sits on one side of the chimney breast. In this scenario, I think the highlevel windows would look ok from inside and outside as they are symetrical around the centre line of the wall but my husband fears this would make the TV look a bit squishy (I am not sure about this? If the chimney breast is say 1.4 m to allow for the width of the fire, that would leave 2.1 m either side which would give enough room for the TV, but it would result of course in the TV being quite off centre which might not be ideal). We don't have the TV or gas fire yet so can buy them to suit the space.

The other alternative is that we do not have the clerestory windows, then we will have free rein to have the chimney breast off centre and the TV next to it and fairly central on the wall. Our architect doesn't like this as the exterior wall, which faces a street will be blank and he doesn't like that.

Can anyone think of any other solutions?

Does an external street facing wall need windows to look ok?

For information the house is on a corner. The street in question is a small cul de sac not a major road. (The front of our house faces onto a more major, but still residential street).

Thanks.

Comments (24)